In 2012, FGW rewarded what we thought were outstanding recent contribution to enhancing the built environment of the West End

Gold award

J J Burnet’s Gartnavel Hospital Chapel

Glasgow Building Preservation Trust’s sensitive conversion and restoration project, for the new headquarters of Cancer Support Scotland,┬áthe “Calman Centre”. David Miller, of Austin Smith Lord Architects
Read the article which appeared in the Evening Times.

Silver award

O Street Design Studio

For re-creation and adaptation of their traditional shop front in Bank Street.


Bronze award

St Silas Church

For their striking new church halls, imaginatively complementing John Honeyman’s 1864 church

Craig Govan, of McLean Architects

Community award

Otago Lane Community Association

For their longrunning campaign to protect this quirky corner of the West End.

Martin Fell and Iain Steel

A further six projects were shortlisted:


Success in regenerating the spirit of the original shopfront in Great Western Road.


Wolfson Medical Building

A striking use of Glasgow University’s gushet site in University Avenue.

Lyle Chrystie, of Reiach and Hall

Crown Circus

Restoration of James Thomson’s exceptionally elegant 1858 composition.

Malcolm Mitchell, of Page\Park Architects


Hillhead Primary School

Distinctively contemporary but sympathetic in scale and material to its older neighbours.

Craig Tait, of J M Architects

JoJo Maman Bebe

Stylish recreation of their Edwardian shopfront.

Botanic Gardens Tearoom

New life for the Curators House (Charles Wilson, 1840).

Glasgow City Council Architects