During any neighbouring building development…

A formal “Dilapidation Survey” should be carried out before the works begin, usually done by the developer.  This is the evidence as to “starting condition” before any works begin.  Note: Owners of neighbouring properties are usually well-advised to complete any relevant outstanding repairs before the development starts, to avoid unnecessary risk.  Many smaller developments do not require a dilapidation survey.

Insurance company - let your insurers know what is happening, otherwise claims for theft or damage may be invalidated.

Site managerGet contact details from the site office and keep handy during the works. This is your first port of call for issues such as acceptable hours of site working, noisy generators running overnight etc, etc.

If you see things happening which you don’t think are in accordance with the Planning Consent, get in touch with the Planning Officer handling the case (FGW also frequently assists on an informal basis).

How can I check in detail, whether the developer is breaching the terms of the planning permission? - Use the OnLine Planning System, put in the property address, select the most recent application (probably) and look in the Documents Section. Here you will find the complete set of detailed plans, elevations, etc. You must also read the “Decision”  which shows any changes or restrictions the council has insisted on (called “Conditions of Consent”).   Alternatively, check with the Planning Dept (or FGW can assist on an informal basis).

Summary of Practical arrangements for the construction period

  • Get it in writing – don’t settle for verbal agreements, be it Planning Officer, Developer or Site Manager.
  • Arrange beforehand – meet the Developer or Site Manager in advance to negotiate practical arrangements.
  • Noise from site generators – can be running 24/7 – pressure Site Manager to link to the public electricity supply asap.
  • TV aerial reception problems – building sites with high scaffolding can interfere with reception for months on end – if your reception is affected, ask for an effective alternative at the start.
  • Damage to public spaces – ensure Developer makes good any damage – if you remain dissatisfied, contact Friends of Glasgow West or the Planning Officer.
  • Avoid hammer piling (new build) – ask for core-piling where holes are drilled first – more expensive  but much quieter.
  • Sunday working and other antisocial hours – complain to Site Manager , and if the matter is not resolved, to the Planning Officer
  • Keeping roads and pavements clean – press for high standards throughout.
  • Scheduled end of works – clarify the expected timeline with the Developer at the start.

Security and vandalism

The Developer should provide appropriate security to protect premises against theft and vandalism. Building sites may also attract crime to adjacent properties. Consider increasing vigilance among your fellow residents and/or start a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.